The Republic of China (ROC) government has been incorporated into the UK’s Youth Mobility Scheme, with the aims of promoting people-to-people exchanges; encouraging and enhancing the interaction between Taiwanese and British youth; and increasing mutual understanding between these two countries. The primary focus of the scheme is holiday visits, but participants may supplement their funds and experience a foreign culture through incidental employment.
The ROC government attaches great importance to international youth exchanges and actively seeks to foster a better understanding of current global affairs among the young people of Taiwan. The implementation of the YMS would highly benefit the future careers and personal development of the participants. We hope that the YMS will encourage even more young people from the United Kingdom to come and experience the customs and culture of Taiwan, study Mandarin, and make long-lasting friendships.
Applications for a Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) Resident Visa to the Republic of China (Taiwan) by Citizens of the United Kingdom
I. Applicant requirements
Applicants for a YMS resident visa for the Republic of China (Taiwan) should meet the following requirements:
1. be UK citizens residing in the UK at the time of application;
2. never have obtained a YMS resident visa to the Republic of China (Taiwan) before;
3. be between 18 and 30 years in age, inclusively;
4. not planning to be accompanied by dependents during their time in Taiwan; and
5. have submitted all required documents.
II. To apply for a YMS resident visa, applicants should submit the following documents:
1. a completed application form for YMS resident visa (signed personally);
2. a YMS permit form;
3. a resume;
4. a passport valid for a minimum of 1 year at the time of submission;
5. two standard colour passport photographs taken within six months prior to application;
6. proof of travel medical insurance for their stay in the Republic of China (Taiwan), which should be valid for at least the first 4 months of their planned stay;
7. a medical examination report;
8. a round-trip flight ticket or proof of sufficient funds for the purchase of a return trip;
9. proof of sufficient financial means, such as traveler’s cheques or bank statements to the value of ￡1600;
10. ￡44 for the application fee.
III. Application Procedures
1. Applications may be made in person, by an authorised third party or by post.
2. There is no need to make an appointment for visa applications at the TRO; we accept walk-in applications from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm Monday to Friday.
3. If applying by post, please send applications to: The Consular Section, Taipei Representative Office in the UK, 50 Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0EB. Please enclose a self-stamped and addressed envelope with enough postage for registered or recorded mail.
4. Applicants may be requested to provide additional documents or to be interviewed as necessary.
IV. Type of Visa Issued
1. Type: Resident Visa
2. Duration of stay: 1 year, starting from the day after the date of entry
3. Application for Alien Resident Certificates (ARC) and restrictions: Those entering Taiwan on an YMS resident visa must apply for an ARC and a Re-entry Permit at local service centres of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days of their date of entry into Taiwan. Once this step is completed, applicants will not be allowed to change their visa status while in Taiwan.
1. On-line Application Forms:
Please fill in the online application form .
And then print out this form once completed and deliver it to the Taipei Representative Office in the UK (TRO). You will need to provide your passport, application form, two standard passport photos and supporting documents when submitting your application.
2.Visa application refusal: In accordance with Article 12 of the Statute Governing Issuance of ROC Visas on Foreign Passports, the ROC government has the right to deny the issue of a visa without disclosing the reason. In addition, in accordance with Article 7 of Standard Fee Rates for ROC visas on Foreign Passports, “if visa applications are denied, the application fees charged are not refundable.”
3. The health examination certificate should include: (1). Serological Test for HIV Antibody; (2). Chest X-Ray for Tuberculosis; (3). Serological Test for Syphilis; (4). Proof of positive measles and rubella antibody titers or measles and rubella vaccination certificates.
Applicants living in Europe, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore or Israel are not required to undergo a stool examination for parasites or an examination for Hansen’s disease.
(For more information, please refer to the website of the Department of Health’s Center for Disease Control, ROC (Taiwan).
4. Regulations after entry: Youth Mobility Scheme visa holders shall not apply for other types of visas based once they enter the ROC.
For more information about Youth Mobility Scheme visa, please log on the website of the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Office Address: 50 Grosvenor Gardens, London, SW1W 0EB (close to Victoria Station)
Tel: 020-7881 2650
Fax: 020-7730 7379
Office Hours: 09.30-12.30 Monday to Friday
There is no need to make an appointment for visa/ authentication applications at the TRO. We accept walk-in applications.