1. Documents originating from the United Kingdom to be used in Taiwan can be authenticated by the Taipei Representative Office in the UK
This Office can authenticate documents certified by the Foreign and Commonwealth (FCO) and originating from southern England (south of Durham and Cumbria, including Guernsey and Jersey Islands) as well as Northern Ireland. However due to jurisdictional reasons, all documents originating from the Isle of Man, the North of England (Durham and Cumbria and above), and Scotland should be sent to our Edinburgh office for authentication. (1 Melville Street, Edinburgh EH3 7PE, TEL: 0131-2206886, 0131-2206890.).
2. Documents submitted for authentication must first meet the following criteria:
- All original documents and copies presented must have been certified by the Legalisation Division of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office(F.C.O.).
- Please provide a photocopy of each document for the Office’s records (including photocopy of the Appostille from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office).
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that ALL required documents as specified are submitted together when applying for authentication. We DO NOT ACCEPT any documents sent directly from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
- All applicants or their agents must fill in the legalisation application form and enclose a copy of the applicant's passport/Id/driver license or Certificate of Incorporation, along with the form.
- In cases where documentation in Chinese is required, please follow these instructions: Please provide a Chinese translation of the documents along with the original English versions. The following remark must be included at the end of the translations: “I hereby certify that the foregoing is a true and correct Chinese translation of the English original documents.” (1) In the case of the translator residing within the UK: The translations must be signed in person, at the Office, by the translator. If the translator cannot present the document in person to the Office for authentication, you may request the Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) to legalise your signature, and then apply for authentication to the Office. (2) In the case of the translator residing in Taiwan, you may request a Notary Public or District Court in Taiwan to authenticate your signature.
- There is a fee of ￡10.00 per document, which can be paid for in cash, by company cheque, postal order, or banker's draft (personal cheques cannot be accepted), all payable to "Taipei Representative Office in the UK" or “TRO in the UK.”
- Banker’s drafts must include machine readable accounting and routing information in the form of a number written in MCIR format. If it is not possible to obtain a banker’s draft with an MCIR format number, the draft must specify both the account to which the fee is payable to the “TRO in the U.K.” and also the details of the bank with which this account is held, namely “First Commercial Bank, London Branch.” Examples of acceptable banker’s drafts can be found below.
If the receiving bank refuses the banker’s draft then the application will only be processed once the balance has been paid by the applicant .
- Documents will be ready for collection after two working days.
- For applications by post, please enclose a stamped and self-addressed envelope for the return of your documents. Applicants outside Europe must pay an additional fee of ￡9.00 to have their documents returned by International Recorded Delivery.
- You may arrange a courier for collection when it is ready. If you use our own DHL account, please DO fill out the on-line DHL waybill and e-mail us before sending the courier. We are not responsible for filling out your waybill. Failure to do so will result in the return of your document being delayed.
Please make sure all photocopies are done before applying. No copied documents may cause delay/reject of the application.
3. More information
- We can authenticate documents originating from the British Virgin Island, the Cayman Islands and the Falkland Islands, providing they have been certified by FCO.
We can also authenticate documents from Ghana, the Seychelles and Sierra Leone. Please contact us for any further queries regarding authentication of documents from these countries .
Office Address: 50 Grosvenor Gardens, London, SW1W 0EB (close to Victoria Station)
Tel: 020-7881 2650
Fax: 020-7730 7379
Office Hours: 09.30-12.30 Monday to Friday
There is no need to make an appointment for visa/ authentication applications at the TRO. We accept walk-in applications.