Bilateral relationship
ROC (Taiwan) and Kiribati established the diplomatic relations on 7 November 2003. ROC (Taiwan) and Kiribati have close relations, and the cooperation and the assistance from Taiwan mainly applied on Kiribati domestic infrastructure, health, agriculture and education domains. Taiwan Technical Mission with the agricultural and live stocks farms inside the compound is located in Temaiku. The aquaculture station of the Taiwan Technical Mission is located in Ambo just next to the Parliament. The first ROC (Taiwan) Ambassador was Samuel Chen, his successor was Benjamin Ho. The third Ambassador was Abraham Chu. The fourth and the current Ambassador is Donald Lee.
Introduction of Kiribati
Kiribati comprises 33 atolls and the phosphate island of Banaba. The atolls straddle the equator in the mid-Pacific ocean and form three groups – the Gilbert, Phoenix and Line Islands. Kiribati is spread out over 3.5 million square kilometers of ocean – the size of Western Australia and South Australia put together. Its population is 110,110 (2015). The per capita GDP is 1,838 Australian Dollars (2014). Tarawa is the capital, and the most populous atoll. The majority of the remaining population live in the Gilbert Islands. The Phoenix Islands are uninhabited. Kiribati is particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change and rising sea levels, with an average elevation of less than two metres above sea level.
Credit cards have very limited acceptance in Kiribati. There are ATMs at branches of the Bank of Kiribati and ANZ in Betio, Bairiki and Bikenibeu (all on Tarawa atoll). Kiribati uses the Australian dollar.
Entry requirements
Visas aren’t required from visiting ROC (Taiwan) passport holders provided you hold a return/onward ticket and sufficient funds for your stay. You’ll normally be granted a 1 month stay. This can be extended on application to the Embassy of Kiribati in Taiwan or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration in Kiribati, for additional 1 month periods for a maximum 3 additional months, provided your passport remains valid. If you’re arriving for employment you should obtain a visa in advance by arrangement with your employer.